Crab Newburg is rich crab dish that is both elegant and easy to prepare. It can be served on toast or over rice.
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1/3 cup butter or other fat
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups coffee cream
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- Toast points
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat, being careful not to break the meat into small pieces.
- Melt butter; blend in flour and seasonings.
- Add cream gradually and cook until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Stir a little of the hot sauce into egg yolk; add to remaining sauce, stirring constantly.
- Add crab meat; heat.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in sherry.
- Serve immediately on toast points.