Salmon Tamale Pie
Salmon tamale pie.
- 2 pounds salmon steaks or fillets
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 3 cups water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter or other fat, melted
- 3 cups canned tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 18 large ripe olives, pitted and sliced
- Cut the salmon into one half inch cubes.
- Cook corn meal, water and 1-1/4 teaspoons of the salt over boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Pour into a loaf pan and allow to set.
- Cook green pepper and onion in 3 tablespoons of the butter for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, remaining salt and chili powder.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add salmon cubes to the tomato mixture and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Make a paste of the flour and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter; stir into the mixture.
- Add ripe olives.
- Line a well greased casserole with one-eighth to one-quarter inch thick slices of corn meal.
- Pour in salmon mixture; cover with remaining slices of corn meal.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 375° F, for about 40 minutes or until brown.