Vegetarian White Tofu Sausage
|Tofu||450 g||0.99 lb|
|Cooked steel cut oats||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Soy emulsion (1:4:5)||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Potato flour||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Starch||20 g||0.7 oz|
|Guar gum||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Salt||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Pepper||4 g||0.14 oz|
|Nutmeg||1 g||0.03 oz|
|Cloves, ground||0.5 g||1 clove|
- Bring 1.2 liter of water to a boil.
- Add 400 g steel cut oats and simmer
- for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Mix diced tofu, oats, emulsion and spices together.
- Add starch, guar and carrageenan and mix.
- Add flour and mix all together.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings.
- Cook in water at 176-185° F (80-85° F) for 20 minutes.
- Remove and place for 5 minutes in cold water.
- Remove from water and let it cool.
* to make emulsion use given ratio (by weight) of soy protein isolate : vegetable oil : water (or other liquid). Using a manual whisk or electric blender mix soy protein isolate with water first until a smooth paste is obtained. Then start gradually adding oil until mayonnaise-like emulsion is obtained. More about emulsions. 50 g soy protein emulsion = 5 soy protein isolate : 20 g oil : 25 g water