Vegetarian Poppy Seed Sausage
This recipe is based on Kutia - sweet, grain and poppy seed pudding, traditionally served at Christmas in Ukraine, Belarus, Russian and Eastern parts of Poland. It is usually made with whole grain wheat, although some versions incorporate buckwheat or barley groats. Other ingredients are poppy seed, nuts, raisins and honey. The tiny poppy seeds are used, whole or ground, as an ingredient in many foods, and they are pressed to yield poppy seed oil. Fillings in pastries are sometimes made of finely ground poppy seeds mixed with butter or milk and sugar. The filling may be flavored with lemon or orange zest, rum and vanilla with raisins, heavy cream, cinnamon, and chopped blanched almonds or walnuts added. Bagels are often sprinkled with poppy seeds.
|Whole wheat grain||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Poppy seed (drained weight)*||200 g||7 oz|
|Sugar||60 g||2.11 oz|
|Honey (maple syrup)||30 g||1.05 oz|
|Potato starch||20 g||0.7 oz|
|Guar gum||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Crushed pecans||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Raisins (dry weight)||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Vanilla||15 ml||0.5 oz fl|
|Water as needed||100-200 ml||3.3-6.6 oz fl|
- Use 1 cup of wheat to 2-1/2 cups of water.
- Bring water to a boil, add wheat, cover and simmer on low heat for about 1 hour until tender.
- If the water is absorbed before the grains are tender, add more as needed.
- Stir from time to time. Drain the grains.
- Return the grains to the hot pot, let them steam for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Bring water to a boil, switch the heat off.
- Add poppy seed, stir and leave for 5 minutes. This removes some of poppy seed bitterness.
- Soak raisins in water for 30 minutes.
- Using mixing bowl combine wheat, poppy seeds, sugar, walnuts, raisins, vanilla and water together.
- Add starch, guar and carrageenan and mix all together.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings.
- Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes.
- Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool.