Vegetarian Cajun Sausage
Wild rice, bell pepper, celery, hot pepper, soy protein and vegetable oil are main ingredients in Cajun sausage.
|Wild rice, boiled||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Vital wheat gluten flour||80 g||2.82 oz|
|Soy protein emulsion (1:4:5)*||100 g||3.5 oz|
|Soy protein isolate||20 g||0.7 oz|
|Potato starch||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Guar gum||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Onion, chopped||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Celery, finely chopped||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Red bell pepper, chopped||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Jalapeno pepper, chopped||30 g||1.5 oz|
|Parsley, finely chopped||20 g||2 Tbsp|
|Salt||15 g||0.52 oz|
|Cracked black pepper||6.0 g||0.21 oz|
|Dried thyme||2.0 g||0.07 oz|
|½ bay leaf||crushed||crushed|
|Hot sauce||15 ml||0.5 oz fl|
|Water as needed||about 100 ml||3.3 oz fl|
- For 1 volume part of wild rice use 2 parts of water. Wild rice needs more cooking time, around 40-50 minutes.
- Use a mild hot sauce, for example Mexican Cholula Hot sauce.
- Vital wheat flour may be substituted with potato flour.
- Save vital wheat gluten flour, starch, guar and carrageenan.
- Mix rice, soy emulsion, soy protein isolate with all diced vegetables and spices.
- Add starch, guar, carrageenan and vital wheat gluten flour and mix all together. Add water as needed.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings.
- Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes.
- Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool.
* to make emulsion use given ratio (by weight) of soy protein isolate : vegetable oil : water (or other liquid). Using a manual whisk or electric blender mix soy protein isolate with water first until a smooth paste is obtained. Then start gradually adding oil until mayonnaise-like emulsion is obtained. More about emulsions. 100 g soy protein emulsion = 10 soy protein isolate : 40 g oil : 50 g water