Vegetarian Bean Sausage
|Cooked beans||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Wheat gluten||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Potato flour||60 g||2.11 oz|
|Soy emulsion (1:4:5)||100 g||3.5 oz|
|Potato starch||25 g||0.88 oz|
|Guar gum||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Salt||12 g||0.42 oz|
|Pepper||2 g||0.07 oz|
|Paprika||4 g||0.14 oz|
|Onion powder||5 g||0.17 oz|
|Cumin||4 g||0.14 oz|
|Cayenne||0.5 g||0.01 oz|
|Water as needed||100 ml||3.5 oz|
- Soak beans in water for 4 hours. Drain, then slow cook until tender. Use enough water to cover the beans. You can use canned beans, just wash and drain them. Take a masher and mash them.
- Add beans, chopped or ground wheat gluten, soy emulsion, spices and 100 ml water into food processor and chop until a paste is obtained. Add starch, guar gum and carrageenan and emulsify.
- Add potato flour and emulsify.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings.
- Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes. Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes. Remove and let them cool.
* to make emulsion use given ratio (by weight) of soy protein isolate : vegetable oil : water (or other liquid). Using a manual whisk or electric blender mix soy protein isolate with water first until a smooth paste is obtained. Then start gradually adding oil until mayonnaise-like emulsion is obtained. More about emulsions. 100 g soy protein emulsion = 10 g soy protein isolate : 40 g oil : 50 g water