Guan Chang - Vegetarian
Guan chang, or filled sausage, has been a popular snack in Beijing since the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). The sausage is made with starch or flour, and mixed with spices. It is boiled and then cut into cubes or slices and fried. It can also be made with ground meat.
|Potato flour||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Water||400 ml||13.3 oz fl|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||6 g||1 tsp|
|Sugar||30 g||2 Tbsp 1 Tbsp|
|Rice wine, sweet||15 ml||1 Tbsp|
|Soy sauce||15 ml|
|Cinnamon||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger, powdered||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cardamom||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Mix all ingredients with warm water.
- Start slowly adding water and keep on kneading until a soft dough is obtained.
- Stuff into 32 mm clear fibrous casings.
- Place in a boiling water and cook at 80° C (176° F) for 30 minutes.
- To serve cut the sausage into cubes or slices and fry.