Ukrainian sausage is a heavily smoked sausage that is cooked in water.
|beef||700 g||1.54 lb.|
|pork jowls, hard fat trimmings, bacon||300 g||0.66 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|paprika||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|allspice||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|marjoram||2.0 g||1½ tsp.|
|garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|cold water||150 ml||⅝ cup|
- Grind fat pork (jowl or equivalent) with 3/8” (13 mm) plate. Grind beef with 1/4” (5 mm) plate. Grind lower class beef (sinews, gristle) twice through 1/8” (2-3 mm) plate. You may emulsify it in a food processor.
- Add 20 - 25 % of cold water in relation to the weight of the beef (about 150 ml) into the emulsified beef, add all spices and mix well together. Then mix the mass together with ground pork fat until the mass feels sticky.
- Stuff mixture into 36 mm hog casings or beef rounds and form rings about 12” long.
- Hang at room temperature for two hours to dry.
- Smoke with hot smoke 90-110 minutes until the color of the casing is light brown with a red tint (paprika makes it red).
- Cook in water at 160º-167º F (72º-75º C) until internal temperature of 154º- 158º F (68º-70º C) is obtained.
- Shower with water.
- Store in refrigerator.