Turkey sausage can be made from turkey meat and pork back fat. Pork and beef trimmings may also be added.
|turkey breast||600 g||1.32 lb.|
|turkey trimmings or other meats (pork, beef)||300 g||0.66 lb.|
|pork back fat or fat pork trimmings||100 g||0.22 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|white pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|paprika||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|nutmeg||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|cold water||80 ml||⅓ cup|
- Grind meats and fat through 3/16” plate (5 mm). Refreeze and grind again.
- Mix ground meats and fat with all ingredients adding 80 ml (⅓ cup) of cold water.
- Stuff loosely into 50-60 mm fibrous casings forming 1 foot (30 cm) links.
- Poach in water at 176º F (80º C) until internal meat temperature reaches 160º F (72º C). This process will take about 60 minutes.
- Place in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Keep in a refrigerator or freeze for later use.
The color of the sausage will be light gray. If a typical pink color is desired, add 2.5 g (½ tsp.) of Cure #1. After stuffinh hang for 1 hour at room temperature.
If meat can absorb more than 80 ml of water, add more. This will depend how much pork and beef (if any) will be used.