Tourist is a small Russian sausage and convenient item for tourists and travelers. Meats are the same as in Tambov sausage but different spices are employed. Similar to Polish Kabanosy meat stick which is made of pork only.
|beef||400 g||0.88 lb.|
|pork||200 g||0.44 lb.|
|pork bellies (bacon)||400 g||0.88 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|sugar||2.0 g||½ tsp.|
|caraway||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|cold water||100 ml||⅜ cup|
- Grind meats with 3/8” (10 mm) plate. Grind bacon through ⅛ “ (3 mm) plate.
- Mix all ingredients with meat adding water. Mix until all water is absorbed by the mixture.
- Stuff into sheep casings 24-26 mm and form 12” (30 cm) long links.
- Hang at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Hot smoke for 60 min.Hang at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In the last stage of smoking the sausage is baked at 75-90º C (167-194º F) until internal meat temperature is 68-70º C (154-158º F). This will take about 20 min.
- Shower with cold water for about 5 min, then lower sausage temperature to below 12º C (53º F).
- Store in refrigerator.