Russian Sausage (Hot Smoked)
Russian Sausage (Hot Smoked). This is a hot smoked version of the Russian sausage which was originally cold smoked and not cooked
|lean pork||500 g||1.10 lb.|
|pork back fat||300 g||0.66 lb.|
|beef||200 g||0.44 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|sugar||2.0 g||⅓ tsp.|
|cardamom||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|allspice||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|Madeira wine or brandy||60 ml||¼ cup|
|cold water||60 ml||¼ cup|
- Grind meats with 3/8” (10 mm) plate. Cut back fat manually into ⅛“ (3 mm) cubes.
- Mix all ingredients with meat adding wine. Mix until all wine is absorbed by the mixture. Then add diced fat and mix everything together.
- Stuff into beef middles or fibrous synthetic casings 40 - 60 mm and form 12” (30 cm) long links.
- Hang at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
- Apply hot smoke for 110-130 min until casings develop brown color with a red tint.
- In the last stage of smoking the sausage is baked at 167-194º F (75-90º C) until internal meat temperature is 68-70º C (154-158º F).
- Shower with cold water for about 5 min, then lower sausage temperature to below 12º C (53º F).
- Store in refrigerator.