Limanowska Sausage is Polish smoked semi-dry sausage which originates in the Limanowa area (Ziemia Limanowska), located high in the mountains, in the Southern part of Poland. The sausage is made from pork and veal and it is smoked and baked in smokehouse.
|Pork with connective tissue||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Lean veal||800 g||1.76 lb|
|Semi-fat veal||100 g||3.5 oz|
|Hard fat trimmings||50 g||1.76 oz|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|pepper||1 g||1/2 tsp|
|coriander||1 g||1/2 tsp|
- Curing. Cut pork and veal meat into 5-6 cm (2”) pieces, mix with 2-1/2 tsp of salt and Cure 1. Pack tightly in a container, cover with a cloth and leave for 48 hours in refrigerator. Mix fat trimmings with 1/2 tsp salt and place in refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Grind collagen rich pork pork (with connective tissue) through 1/8" (2 mm) plate and then emulsify in food processor adding 20-30% of crushed ice or cold water. Add spices at this stage.Cut lean veal into 5-6 cm (2”) pieces. Grind semi-fat veal through 1/2" (10 mm plate). Grind fat pieces through 3/8" (8 mm) plate.
- Mix veal class I with veal class II until gluey, then add emulsified mixture and mix everything together.
- Stuff sausage into beef bungs or synthetic cellulose or fibrous casings 55-65 mm. Stuff casings firmly and tie the ends with twine. Sausage links 40-45 cm (16-18”), on one end loop 10-12 cm (4-5”) for hanging.
- Condition sausages for 12 hours at 35-43°F (2-6°C). Drying is also allowed at room temperature for 3-4 hours.
- Apply hot smoke for 90-100 min, then bake sausages for 40 min. Total time 130-150 min until the internal meat temperature reaches 154-158°F (68-70° C).
- Hang for 1-2 days at 53-84°F (12-18°C) 75-80% humidity until 84% yield is achieved.
This is a semi-dry sausage that can be kept at room temperature. It will keep on losing moisture and will become a dry sausage in time.