Low-Fat Bologna made with beef, potato starch and oil emulsion. Bologna is emulsified, smoked and cooked sausage. sausage qualifies to be called Kosher.
|lean beef||700 g||1.54 lb.|
|oil emulsion*||200 g||0.44 lb.|
|potato starch||20 g||3 Tbsp.|
|water||80 g||1/3 cup|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|carrageenan||5.0 g||1 tsp.|
|phosphate**||3.0 g||½ tsp|
|sodium erythorbate**||0.3 g||use scale|
|paprika||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|allspice||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|white pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|coriander||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
- Grind beef through 3/16” plate (5 mm).
- Male oil emulsion*: soy protein isolate /vegetable oil/water at 1:4:5. Oil emulsion: chop/blend 20 g soy protein isolate and 100 g (ml) water in food processor for 1 minute. Add 80 g oil and chop for 2 minutes.
- In food processor chop ground beef, water, salt, phosphate, cure #1 and sodium erythorbate.
- Add starch and spices and remix. Add oil emulsion and remix.
- Stuff firmly into 40-60 mm synthetic fibrous or cellulose casings.
- Hang at room temperature for one hour.
- When sausages feel dry to touch, apply hot smoke 50-60º C (120-140 º F) for 2-3 hours.
- Poach in water to 160º F (72º C) internal meat temperature.
- Shower with or immerse in cold water for 10 minutes.
- 9. Store in refrigerator.
** Sodium erythorbate and phosphate are not absolutely necessary, although recommended.
About 184 calories per 100 g (3.5 oz) serving