Leverpolse is a Danish liver sausage
|Pork liver||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Veal||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork belly, jowls||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Back fat||100 g||0.44 lb|
|Lean pork||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Marjoram||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Thyme||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Diced onion||50 g||1 small|
- Simmer veal, lean pork, jowls and belly in hot water until cooked. Save the meat stock.
- Chop onion finely and fry in grease until glassy.
- Scald liver in hot water for 3 minutes.
- Dice back fat into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes.
- Slice liver into 1/4” (6 mm) discs.
- Grind lean pork, veal, jowls and belly through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Emulsify liver in a food processor.
- Add ground meats (except diced back fat), onions, spices and 60 ml (2 oz fl) of meat stock in a food processor.
- Emulsify until a smooth paste is obtained.
- Pour into a bowl and mix with back fat cubes.
- Stuff loosely into 36 mm hog casings.
- Cook sausages in hot water at 80° C (176° F) for 30 minutes.
- Cool in cold water for 10 minutes, then spread on the table to cool.
If back fat cubes are not to be displayed, emulsify back fat with the remaining ingredients in the food processor.
After cooling the sausage can be smoked with a thin smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 2-4 hours.