Braunschweiger Liver Sausage-American
American version of Braunschweiger liver sausage.
|Pork liver||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork belly trimmings||200 g||0.88 lb|
|Back fat or hard fat trimmings||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Pork meat trimmings, neck bones, ribs, split heads||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Marjoram||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Onion||60 g||1 onion|
|Potato flour||50 g||0.11 lb|
- Scald livers with hot water then cool them in the cold water.
- Slow cook other meats in water at around 85° C (185° F). Save meat stock. Allow meats to cool and remove meat from bones.
- Grind livers with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind all meat and fat with 1/8” (3 mm) plate. Add chopped onion and all ingredients during this step.
- Mix ground liver with ground meat adding as much meat stock as the sausage mass will absorb OR using food processor emulsify everything together adding some meat stock until a thick paste is obtained.
- Stuff loosely into hog bungs, hog middles or large diameter hog casings.
- Cook in water at 75-80° C (167-176° F) until the sausage reaches 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature. The length of time to boil will depend upon the thickness of the sausage.
- Cool sausages in cold water turning them frequently to prevent grease from solidifying on one side.
- Store in refrigerator.
If smoky flavor is desired, after cooling the chilled sausages may be cold smoked at 18° C (64° F) for 5-6 hours.