Poultry Liver Sausage
|goose or other poultry meat||550 g||1.21 lb.|
|goose or other poultry livers||150 g||0.33 lb.|
|poultry hearts and gizzards||150 g||0.33 lb.|
|pork jowls or bacon||150 g||0.33 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|white pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|marjoram||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|onion, chopped||30 g||½ onion|
|semolina flour||120 g||1 cup|
- Scald livers with hot water (do not boil).
- Place all meats (except livers) in hot water and simmer below boiling point until semi-soft.
- Grind all meats, liver and onions through ⅛” (3 mm) plate at least twice.
- Mix everything with salt, pepper and semolina flour until smooth. Food processor will make it easier.
- Stuff mixture into natural or synthetic casings.
- Cold smoke for 2-3 hours.
- Cook in water at 176° F (80° C) until meat internal temperature reaches 72° F (160° C). Depending on a diameter of the casing that might take 15-120 minutes. A rule of thumb calls for 10 min for each 1 cm (10 mm) of the casing.
- Cool in cold water until sausage temperature reaches 68-86° F (20-30° C).
- Store in refrigerator.