Liver Sausage with Onions
Liver sausage with onions is made in the same manner as other liver sausages, except the larger proportion of onions in the liver sausage mixture.
|pork liver||600 g||1.32 lb.|
|back fat, belly fat, jowl fat or fat pork trimmings||400 g||0.88 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|onions||200 g||0.44 lb|
|salt||20 g||3½ tsp.|
|white pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp.|
|nutmeg||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|marjoram, ground||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
- Cut blood veins out of livers and place them in cold water until all traces of blood are removed. Poach livers at 176º F (80º C) for 8 - 10 min. Save some stock. Drain and cool.
- Grind fat through a 2 mm ( ⅛”) plate. Refreeze and grind again. Chop the onions and then grind them. Grind liver twice with a 2 mm ( ⅛”) plate until you achieve paste consistency. Liver can be ground only once, then emulsified in a food processor (add 10%, 60 g, 1/4 cup of the liver stock).
- Mix everything together adding spices.
- Stuff loosely into 38 - 42 mm diameter hog casings, make straight links about 10 - 14” long. You can use natural beef casings or beef middles up to 3” (8 cm) in diameter.
- Place sausages into boiling water but poach at 176 - 185º F (80 - 85º C) until internal temperature of 154 - 158º F (68 - 70º C) is reached. The required time is about 50 - 90 minutes.
- Place in cold water for 10 min.
- Hang to cool and dry.
- Store in refrigerator.