Fennel is the dominant spice in Italian Bratwurst. In Germany it is known as Italienische Bratwurst, in American supermarkets it is known as Italian Sausage.
|Lean pork||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Semi-fat pork or pork belly||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3 tsp|
|White pepper||4 g||2 tsp|
|Fennel||6 g||3 tsp|
- Grind all meat through 3/8" (10 mm) plate.
- Grind again through 1/8" (3 mm) plate.
- Mix ground meat with all spices.
- Stuff into 28-32 mm hog casings. Make links about 8 inch (20 cm) long.
- Refrigerate and eat within two days. Fully cook before serving.
You can precook sausage in water at 176° F (80° C) for 20 minutes. This will slightly extend its shelf life.