Rookworst is a popular Dutch smoked sausage made of pork or pork and beef or veal and smoked with beech wood. It can be smoked and refrigerated (it must be cooked before serving) or it can be smoked and cooked making it ready to eat at any time. This is a smoked, raw version of the sausage.
|Beef||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork jowls||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork belly||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
- Grind beef with 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Grind jowls with 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Grind belly with 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Mix ground beef and jowls with salt and cure #1 until sticky. Add belly and spices and mix again.
- Stuff into 32-34 mm hog casings.
- Hang for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Apply a thin cold smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 2 days.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Cook before serving.
Use beech or oak wood for smoking.