Traditional Dominican longaniza prepared with the juice of bitter oranges (or lime), garlic, oregano and salt. Then the longaniza is left to cure in the sun for a few days.
|Pork shoulder or 70/30 lean/fat trimmings||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||25 g||4 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika, sweet||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Oregano, rubbed||8.0 g||2 tsp|
|Garlic, smashed||8.0 g||2 cloves|
|Juice of bitter oranges||30 ml||1 oz fl|
|OR bitter orange oil*||1 ml||2-3 drops|
- Grind pork through 5/16” (8 mm) plate.
- Mix ground meat with salt and cure #1 until sticky. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well together.
- Stuff firmly into 36 mm hog casings.
- Dry in the sun for 2 days.
- Cook before serving by pan frying or grilling.
Food grade essential oils are available at Mountain Rose Herbs https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/