Coney Island Frank
Coney Island Frank was a popular sausage in the Coney Island amusement park and other parks in New York City where it was roasted over charcoal fires.
|beef||700 g||1.54 lb.|
|pork trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|red pepper||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|nutmeg||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|cold water||150 ml||⅝ cup|
- Grind meats with 3/16” plate (5 mm). Keep lean meats separate from fat trimmings. Refreeze and grind again. Refreeze again and grind through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix lean beef with all ingredients adding ⅓ (50 ml) of cold water. Add lean pork and ⅓ of cold water and mix well. Add fat trimmings and the last ⅓ of water and mix everything well together.
- Stuff firmly into 24-26 mm sheep casings. Form 4-5” (10-12 cm) long links.
- Hang on smokesticks for one hour.
- When sausages feel dry apply hot smoke 60-70º C (140-158º F) for about 60 minutes until brown color develops.
- Cook in hot water, at 75º C (167º F) until internal meat temperature reaches 154-158º F(68-70º C). This should take about 15 minutes.
- Shower with cold water for 5 minutes.
- Keep in a refrigerator.