Salsiccia di Calabria
Salsiccia di Calabria is a dry sausage produced in the Calabria Region of Italy. Salsiccia di Calabria carries PDO, 1998 classification.
|Pork shoulder||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Pork loin, fat included||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Back fat||100 g||0.22|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/3 tsp|
|Pepper||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Red pepper||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Paprika, sweet||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Fennel seeds, whole||1.0 g||1 tsp|
|Red wine||10 ml||2 tsp|
|Starter culture, T-SPX||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind lean pork through 3/8” 10 mm cubes.
- Cut fat into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes.
- 30 minutes before mixing dissolve starter culture in 1 tablespoon de-chlorinated water.
- Mix meat and fat with all ingredients.
- Stuff into large 36-40 mm hog casings. Twist into links 16” (40 cm) long or make individual horse-shoe shape loops.
- Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90 → 85% humidity.
- Dry at 15-12º C (59-54º F), 85→75% decreasing humidity for 30 days. The sausage is dried until around 30-35% in weight is lost.
- Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), <75% humidity.