Salame di Varzi
Salame di Varzi is Italian sausage that is produced in the mountain community of Montana Oltrepò Pavese, adjoining the municipality of Varzi. Salame di Varzi carries PDO, 1996 classification.
|Lean pork, shoulder, leg (ham), loin||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Back fat, jowls, pork belly||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Peppercorns, whole||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||7.0 g||2 cloves|
|Red wine||15 ml||1 Tbsp|
|T-SPX culture||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind lean pork through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Dice fat into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes.
- Soak minced garlic in red wine.
- 30 minutes before mixing dissolve starter culture in 1 tablespoon de-chlorinated water.
- Mix lean pork with salt and cure #2. Add spices, wine and culture. Mix. Add diced fat and mix all together.
- Stuff firmly into 65 mm natural casings.
- Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90-85% humidity.
- Dry at 15→12° C (59→53° F), 65-75% humidity for 6 weeks.
- Store at 10-12° C (50°-55 F), 75% humidity.