The Salame Piacentino is produced in the province of Piacenza. Salame Piacentino carries PDO, 1996 classification.
|Lean pork||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Back fat, pork belly||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure # 2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Peppercorns, whole||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/3 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Garlic||7.0 g||2 cloves|
|White or red wine||5 ml||1 tsp|
|Starter culture, T-SPX||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind meat through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Cut fat into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes.
- Dissolve starter culture in 1 tablespoon de-chlorinated water 30 minutes before mixing step.
- Mix ground meat with salt and cure #2.
- Add fat, spices, wine and culture to the mixture and re-mix.
- Stuff into 40 mm hog casings.
- Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90 → 85% humidity.
- Dry at 15→12º C (59→54º F), 85→75% decreasing humidity for 45 days. The sausage is dried until around 30-35% in weight is lost.
- Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), <75% humidity.