|Pork meat - leg, shoulder, loin||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Back fat or hard fat trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||30 g||5 tsp|
|Cure # 2||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Sweet paprika||10 g||3 tsp|
|Allspice, ground||2.0 g||1 tsp|
- Meat is manually boned, which enables the thorough removal of sinews, gristle and connective tissue. Cut the meat into 3/16” (5 mm) pieces.
- Cut fat into 1/8” (3 mm) pieces.
- Mix lean meat with all ingredients. Add fat and remix.
- Stuff into horse or 40-85 mm fibrous casings forming 13-20” (33-50 cm) long links.
- Apply a thin cold smoke at 16° C (60° F) for 12-20 days using beech wood. Cold smoking is not a continuous process, it can be interrupted often, however, the temperature of 16° C shoud be maintained. You are drying the meat with smoke.
- Place sausages in a fermenting/drying room at 10-14° C (50-56° F), 86-90% humidity to permit the growth of mold.
- The fermentation/drying process continues for 2-3 months depending on the diameter (not the length) of the sausage. Once the mold appears the relative humidity can be lowered, however, it should not drop below 45% as the drying will be too fast.
- The total production time from filling the sausages is at least 90 days.
No starter cultures are allowed.