Ordinary Sausage (Kiełbasa zwyczajna)
A typical Polish no frills all pork smoked sausage.
|Pork, lean||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork, semi-fat||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork, rich in connective tissue||250 g||0.55 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Coriander||0.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic||3.0 g||1 clove|
- Grind lean pork through 1/2” (12 mm) plate.
- Grind semi-fat pork with 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Grind pork with connective tissue with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify pork with connective tissue adding 35-45% (90 ml, 3 oz fl) of crushed ice or cold water. Add cure #1 and spices when emulsifying.
- Mix/knead ground pork adding salt until sticky. Add emulsified pork and mix again.
- Stuff into 32 mm hog casings. Form 5-6” (12-14 cm) links leaving them in a continuous coil.
- Hang for 30-60 minutes at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke for 100-120 min until casings develop light brown color.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 30 min until the sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Immerse (or shower) in cold water to cool sausages to 12° C (53° F) or lower. Keep refrigerated.
Marjoram may be added at 0.5 g per 1 kg of meat (optional).