German Ham Sausage
A German pork and beef sausage.
|Pork trimmings||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Beef trimmings||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork back fat or hard fat trimmings||50 g||0.11 lb|
|Potato flour||50 g||0.11 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|Paprika||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|Allspice||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|Coriander||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|Water||240 ml||1 cup|
- Grind beef through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Grind pork through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Grind fat through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify beef with half of water. Then add as follows: pork, salt, cure #1, spices, fat and flour. Keep on slowly adding the remaining water as emulsifying process continues.
- Stuff into beef bungs, beef middles or large diameter cellulose or fibrous casings.
- Hang in 4º C (38º F) overnight or for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
- Apply smoke at 46º C (115º F) for about 3 hours.
- Cook in water at around 72° C (160° F) for 60-90 min according to thickness until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) inside.
- After cooking place sausages for about 15 min in cold water, dry briefly in air and refrigerate.