Gelbwurst (Yellow Sausage)
Yellow sausage is a popular German sausage where it is known as Gelbwurst (gelb = yellow). This sausage recipe calls for lightly colored meats and ingredients. Cardamom which is an essential spice in curry is added for yellow color.
|Veal||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork belly (with skin)||200 g||7.0 oz|
|Pork jowls *||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Crushed ice||150 g||5.30 oz|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Mace||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cardamom||0.25 g||1/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Fresh onion||10 g||1 Tbsp|
- Grind all meats with 1/8” (3 mm) grinder plate.
- Dice the onion finely.
- Using food processor emulsify all ground meats with all spices and crushed ice or cold water.
- Stuff into 60 mm casings. Synthetic, impermeable to smoke and water casings are preferred.
- Cook in water at 176° F (80° C) for 60 minutes.
- Cool in cold water. Dry briefly and refrigerate.
* pork jowls can be substituted with pork trimmings rich in connective tissue (front leg, hocks, feet).