Wild Boar Sausage
Wild boar is a naturally lean meat and to make a good sausage pork meat (70/30) or pork fat should be added.
|wild boar||600 g||1.32 lbs.|
|pork butt or fat pork trimmings||400 g||0.88 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|dry juniper berries||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|cold water||100 g||⅜ cup|
- Grind all meats and fat through a 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Mix ground meat with all ingredients adding water.
- Stuff tightly into 32-36 mm hog casings. Make 12” long links.
- Hang for 1 hour until casings feel dry.
- Preheat smoker to 130º F, (54º C) then apply heavy smoke for 2-3 hours. In last hour of smoking start slowly increasing temperature to about 170º F, (77º C).
- Stop cooking when internal meat temperature is 160º F, (71º C).
- Shower sausages with cold water and hang them to further cool down.
- Store in refrigerator.
If available - at the beginning and at the end of smoking add some juniper branches into the fire.