Sangueira de Barroso-Montalegre
Sangueira de Barroso-Montalegre is a Portuguese blood sausage (“sangue” means blood). The sausage is produced in the municipalities of Boticas, Chaves and Montalegre, in the Vila Real district. The territory consisting of these three municipalities is known and identified as ‘Barroso’.
|Semi-fat pork: meat-shoulder, jowls, belly||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork blood||300 g||10 oz fl|
|White wheat bread||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Onion||40 g||1/2 onion|
|Wine, red or white||30 ml||2 Tbsp|
|Olive oil||30 ml||2 Tbsp|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Garlic||4.0 g||1 clove|
|Paprika, sweet||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Parsley, chopped||10 g||2 Tbsp|
- The fatty cuts of meat are cut into small pieces.
- The meat is seasoned with salt, cure #1, red or white wine and garlic. Hold for 2-3 days in refrigerator. Cut the wheat bread is cut small pieces. Soak bread in blood adding chopped onion, chopped parsley, olive oil and spices.
- Mix the marinated meat with the bread and the blood.
- Stuff into 36 mm hog casings making one continuous coil. Twist the casing to the desired size links. You may use twine to make a knot on each end of the link and then cut the links. Tie the ends together to make a ring.
- Apply a thin smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 3-4 days. Smoking need not to be continuous, as long as the temperature inside of the smokehouse stays below 18° C. Think of the process as drying with smoke. Oak wood is used for smoking.
Sangueira de Barroso-Montalegre carries PGI, 2007 classification.