Mustamakkara is a Finnish black sausage and a specialty of Tampere.
|Lean pork trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Back fat or fat pork trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork blood||300 g||10 oz fl|
|Rye grains||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Onion powder||10 g||2 tsp|
|Marjoram||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cumin||1.0 g||0.5 g|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
- Soak rye grains for 24 hours in water. Drain.
- Grind lean pork through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Cut fat into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes.
- Mix everything together.
- Stuff loosely into 36 mm casings.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (392° F) and bake the sausages for 25 minutes. Turn the sausages over and bake them for 25 minutes more. Baking the sausages twice makes them crispy.
- Cool the sausages at room temperature (1-2 hours).
Majority of blood sausages are cooked in water, then fried or baked when consumed. Mustamakkara is served hot, often with lingoberry jam.