Oecher Puttes is a German blood sausage produced in Aachen. The product is popular in regional cooking, e.g. fried, together with apples, potatoes and onions. This dish is known in Aachen dialect as ‘Hömmel än Eäd’ (heaven and earth). Oecher Puttes is also popular served with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut (‘Kompes’) or as an ingredient in a picnic.
|Pork meat: head meat, meat trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork fat: back fat, belly fat, jowls||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork skins||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Blood||300 g||10 oz fl|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Marjoram||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Thyme, rubbed||1.0 g||1 tsp|
|Onion||60 g||1 small|
- Cook all meats below the boiling point of water until soft. Save the meat stock. Spread meats on the table to cool.
- Chopped finely the onions and fry in fat until glassy.
- Dice fat into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes.
- Chop meats and skin or grind through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Warm up the blood to about 45° C (113° F). This reduces the metallic taste of the blood and increases the ability of the sausage mixture to bind when the diced pig fat is added.
- Mix meats with onions, spices, blood, fat cubes and 30 ml (2 Tbsp) of meat stock.
- Stuff into 36 mm hog casings.
- Cook in water at 78° C (174° F) for 40 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate.
- Cook before serving.
Oecher Puttes carries PGI, 2016 classification.