Dziadek Blood Sausage
This recipe courtesy of the Polish master butcher and sausage maker Dziadek. Polish blood sausages often employ buckwheat groats or barley as a filler material. Almost all sausage eating countries have a blood sausage based on pigs blood and nearly all blood sausage recipes contain onion and fillers such as oatmeal, barley, bread crumbs, rice, cornmeal, buckwheat groats, semolina, flour etc.
|pork jowls (may be replaced with bacon)||20 g||0.70 oz|
|fat bacon||70 g||2.47 oz.|
|pieces of fat||20 g||0.70 oz.|
|pork, class IV (picnic)||70 g||2.47 oz.|
|pork meat (legs, hocks)||20 g||0.70 oz.|
|pork lungs (may be replaced with pork meat)||40 g||1.41 oz.|
|pork skins||80 g||2.82 0z.|
|unsalted blood||140 g||4.94 oz.|
|barley groats||100 g||3.5 oz.|
|meat stock (broth)||200 g||7.05 oz.|
|buckwheat groats (unprocessed)||80 g||2.82 oz.|
|meat stock (broth)||160 g||5.64 oz.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||20 g||3½ tsp.|
|black pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|marjoram, ground||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|allspice||0.5 g||½ tsp.|
|onions, finely chopped||30 g||½ onion|
- Rinse skins, lungs and all meats in cold running water.
- Boil all meats:
- skins at 85-95º C (185º -203º F) until soft.
- if lungs are used, remove harder connective tissues from lungs.
- poach jowls at 85º C (185º-203º F) until semi-soft.
- spread all meats on the table to cool down.
- Bring meat stock to boil then insert buckwheat grouts or barley and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring often
- cook buckwheat groats in 160 milliliters of meat stock until semi-soft
- cook barley groats in 200 milliliters of meat stock until semi-soft.
- cover the pot with a lid and leave cooked groats 60 minutes.
- Grind all meats and fats through 8 mm (3/8") plate. Grind bacon, fat and skins with 3 mm (3/16") plate. If jowls are used, they can be cut with a knife into 5 mm (1/4") cubes (no grinding necessary).
- Spread all meats and fats on the bottom of a mixing tub. Spread hot groats evenly on top of meats without disturbing them. Pour blood on top of groats and mix together. Add salt and spices and mix all well together.
- Stuff warm sausage mass loosely into hog casings. Make 12" long links, form pairs.
- Insert sausages into boiling water but poach at 80º C (176º F) for about 30 minutes to reach internal sausage temperature of 68º-72º C (154º-161º F).
- Remove from water and cool down to 6º C (42º F)
This is an original recipe that employs cuts of meat which may be unavailable in metropolitan cities. In such a case use meat substitution
Amount of blood added can vary from 50 milliliters (just a hint of color) to 250 milliliters(strong, dark color).
Additional information on technology of making blood sausages plus photos that describe this particular recipe can be seen at: Blood Sausages