The same marinade may be used for pickling different types of wild mushrooms. Small mushrooms can be pickled whole, large mushrooms must be halved or quartered.
- 1 kg wild mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp salt for boiling mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp salt for marinade
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 12 allspice berries
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 tsp mustard seed
- 4 onions
- Garlic cloves (one clove for each jar)
- Wash and clean mushrooms. Pay attention to stems, cut a part of the bottom of the stem if necessary. Cook in water for 10 minutes adding 1 tablespoon of salt. Drain.
- Peel the onions and slice into discs.
- Marinade. Mix vinegar, water, salt and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Fill jars with mushrooms. Insert to each jar a slice of onion, garlic clove, allspice berry, bay leaf, a few black peppercorns and 12 mustard seeds. Fill jars to within 1 inch from the top.
- Pour hot marinade into each jar to cover mushrooms. Leave 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust lids.
- Process for 20 minutes in water bath canner.
- Remove jars and let stand for 12 hours.