Salted White Cabbage
|white cabbage||1 kg||2.2 lb|
|salt, 3%||30 g|
|mirin (sweet rice wine)||30 ml||2 Tbsp|
|seaweed sheets||28 g||1 oz|
- Remove 2-3 outer cabbage leaves for later use. Cut the cabbage into 6-8 wedges. Don't remove the core, just trim off the tough part. The core holds the leaves together.
- Sprinkle a little salt into the bottom of the container or a bowl.
- Place cabbage wedges, cut sides up. Sprinkle more salt on cabbage.
- Pour over 1/2 cup (120 ml) of water.
- Place a lid or inverted dinner plate on top of cabbage, then add weight on top.
- Let ferment for 3 days.
- Drain and squeeze out the salty water.
- Mix with seaweed sheets and rice wine.
- Place weight on top and let ferment for 3 days.
- Store in refrigerator.