|napa cabbage||2.5 kg||5.5 lb|
|scallions||250 g||8 oz|
|garlic cloves, crushed||6||6|
|ginger root, finely diced||25 g||1 oz|
|red pepper powder||40 g||1.4 oz|
|salt||50 g||3 Tbsp|
|sugar||15 g||1 Tbsp|
- Trim off outer leaves, split cabbage into separate halves.
- Make a brine: 3 cups salt to 4 quarts water. Brine the cabbage for 3 hours. Rinse cabbage in fresh water and squeeze the water out, repeat twice more. Drain cabbage for 30 minutes.
- Cut cabbage into 2î (5 cm) sections.
- Add a little water to red pepper powder and make paste.
- Cut scallions diagonally, dice ginger and crush garlic.
- Add salt and sugar and mix all together.
- Pack stuffed cabbage in a container. Put on top outer leaves that were removed in step #1. Sprinkle with salt. Place weight on top. Ferment 3 days.