|napa cabbage||2.5 kg||5.5 lb|
|scallions||250 g||8 oz|
|carrots||453 g||1 lb|
|garlic cloves, sliced in half||6||6|
|ginger, finely diced||25 g||1 oz|
|red pepper powder||40 g||1.4 oz|
- Trim off outer leaves, split cabbage into quarters, then cut into 1î (2.5 cm) slices. Slice carrot into 1/4î (5 mm) slices.
- Make a brine: 3 cups salt to 4 quarts water. Brine the cabbage and carrots for 3 hours. Remove cabbage and carrots, save the brine. Rinse in fresh water, drain, repeat twice more. Drain cabbage for 30 minutes.
- Cut scallions diagonally into 1î (2.5 cm) pieces.
- Finely dice ginger and mix with red pepper powder.
- Mix all together.
- Pack the mixture in a container. Put on top outer leaves that were removed in step #1. Sprinkle with salt. Place weight on top. Add enough leftover brine to submerge the mixture. Ferment 3 days.