Refrigerated Apple Spread (made with gelatin)
- 2 Tbsp unflavored gelatin powder
- 1 quart bottle unsweetened apple juice
- 2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp liquid low-calorie sweetener
- Food coloring, if desired
- Yield: 4 half-pints
Procedure: In a saucepan, soften the gelatin in the apple and lemon juices. To dissolve gelatin, bring to a full rolling boil and boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in sweetener and food coloring, if desired. Fill jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel. Adjust lids. Do not process or freeze.
CAUTION Store in refrigerator and use within 4 weeks.
Optional: For spiced apple jelly, add 2 sticks of cinnamon and 4 whole cloves to mixture before boiling. Remove both spices before adding the sweetener and food coloring.