Spaghetti Sauce With Meat
- 30 lbs tomatoes
- 2-1/2 lbs ground beef or sausage
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery or green peppers
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 4-1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp oregano
- 4 Tbsp minced parsley
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Yield: About 9 pints
- Do not increase the proportion of onions, peppers, or mushrooms.
- Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split. Dip in cold water and slip off skins. Remove cores and quarter tomatoes. Boil 20 minutes, uncovered, in large saucepan. Put through food mill or sieve.
- Saute beef or sausage until brown. Add garlic, onion, celery or green pepper, and mushrooms, if desired. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Combine with tomato pulp in large sauce pan. Add spices, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until thick enough for serving. At this time initial volume will have been reduced by nearly one-half. Stir frequently to avoid burning. Fill hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel. Adjust lids and process.
|Style of Pack||Jar Size||Process Time||Canner Pressure at "0" ft|
|Hot||Pints||60 min||11 lb||10 lb|
For processing at above 1,000 ft, see Altitude Adjustments.