Lard With Onions
|back fat, fresh (not frozen), without skin and traces of meat||1 kg||2.2 lb|
|salt||15 g||2.5 tsp|
|onion||10 g||1/3 oz|
- Peel the onions, slice into discs and fry in fat until golden (don't brown them).
- Grind back fat through 1/4" (5-6 mm) plate together with salt and onion.
- Mix the ground fat to distribute uniformly the ingredients.
- Warm up the fat slightly (100° F, 38° C) then pour into warm jars leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Process without delay at 250° F, 121° C:
1/2 Pint jar - 50 min
Pint jar - 60 min
- Follow the above instructions. Exhausting and sealing up hot lard is not recommended for home production due to safety risk when handling hot oil.
- Fill the cans leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Process at once at 250° F, 121° C:
- 1/2 lb, 307x200.25 - 60 min