Crab gumbo is a Cajun dish made with crab meat and okra. Onions, celery and garlic are typical ingredients in Cajun cuisine. Crab gumbo is served with rice.
- 1/2 pound crab meat
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or other fat, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed whole thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 whole bay leaf
- Dash pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen okra, sliced
- 2 cans (1 pound 4 ounces each) tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat.
- Cook onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add seasonings, okra and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add crab meat; heat.
- Serve over rice.