Stuffed clams made a very attractive dish. Adding Tabasco hot sauce or cayenne pepper will convert the recipe into deviled clams.
- 1 dozen large shell clams ("chowders")
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 4-ounce can mushrooms, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or other fat, melted
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or other fat, melted
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Shuck clams. Chop.
- Wash shells thoroughly.
- Cook onion and mushrooms in butter until tender.
- Blend in flour and seasonings.
- Add clams and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Fill well greased clam shells.
- Combine butter and crumbs; sprinkle over top of each shell.
- Bake in a hot oven, 400° F, for 10 minutes or until brown.