Clam souffle is made from clams and beaten egg whites. The mixture is filled into casserole and baked.
- 1 pint clams
- 3 tablespoons butter or other fat
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 cup clam liquor and water
- 3 eggs, separated
- Simmer clams in their own liquor about 5 minutes, or until edges curl.
- Drain and save liquor. Chop.
- Melt butter; blend in flour and seasonings.
- Gradually add liquor and cook until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Stir a little of the hot sauce into beaten egg yolk; add to remaining sauce, stirring constantly.
- Add clams.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg white.
- Pour into a well greased 1-quart casserole.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350° F, for 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately, plain or with a sauce.