Tuna And Noodles Italian Style
Tuna and noodles Italian style.
- 2 cans (6-1/2 or 7 ounces each) tuna
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or other fat, melted
- 1 can (1 pound 13 ounces) tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon whole oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed sweet basil
- 1 whole bay leaf, crushed
- 1 package (8 ounces) noodles
- 2 cups grated cheese
- Drain tuna. Break into large pieces.
- Cook onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add the next 9 ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add tuna and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook noodles as directed on package; drain.
- Arrange the noodles, tuna sauce and cheese in alternate layers in a well greased baking pan, 11 x 7 x 1-1/2 inches.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350° F, for 35 to 40 minutes.